If there is one lesson that has really sunk in for me in the past few years is the importance of self care. In order for me to be fully present and productive in my life, I have to make time to take care of myself. In our society of chasing more and more and putting value on over-extending ourselves, we should hush those messages and social pressures. Our physical and mental health is suffering because of these pressures and not offsetting it with self care practices.
Stress affects every part of our bodies – it causes us to pack on weight, reduces absorption of nutrients, slows down our metabolism, ruins our digestion and even can cause heart problems over a long period of time. A great way to deal with stress is by self care.
Let’s be crystal clear – self care is not selfish. From busy moms to hard working professionals, it’s a practice that should be prioritized like making time for a workout or getting enough sleep.
Here is a list of self care ideas to add to your schedule now.
- Take a bubble bath (add a book, candle and glass of red wine for extra care)
- Get a pedicure in a spa chair
- Visit park and enjoy an outdoor meditation
- Take a long walk with your dog without your phone
- Nap (even a 20 minute nap can totally change your day)
- Practice yoga (use youtube or go to a class
- Go to bed 30 minutes earlier and read a good book
- Sit on your front/back deck and watch the sunset
- Draw or paint (or any creative practice) for fun
- Order take-out for dinner so you have extra time to rest after a long day
- Get a massage
- Get out in nature for a while
Sometimes life isn’t about pushing harder or seeing how thin we can wear ourselves. I think we need to slow down more and find ways to feel good, whole and present.
Take care my friends!