Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring or bland! While I am about simple ingredients, sometimes you can add some extra flavor or flare with new ingredients or herbs and spices.
I’ve been on smoked salmon kick for a while now after I bought a huge pack at Costco. Since it was value sized, I found myself eating it sometimes 2x a day! Not only does salmon taste amazing with eggs, it’s a great source of high quality protein and minerals (including potassium, selenium and vitamin B12) but most importantly, it contains omega-3 fatty acids. Here is what you need to know about the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Contributes to healthy brain function
- Promotes good joint health
- Improve risk factors for heart disease like high blood pressure, HDL-cholesterol, and inflammation.
- Fight anxiety and depression
- Reduce symptoms of metabolic syndrome
- Fights inflammation
With this many healthy benefits, you bet I will be getting in my 2 servings a week suggested by the American Heart Association. Now on to the recipe that will not only be healthy but brighten up your morning!
Smoked Salmon with Eggs, Spinach and Goat Cheese
- 2 oz smoked salmon (note: the variety I used was from the farmers market so it’s larger than normal packaged smoked salmon.)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups of baby spinach
- handful of freshly chopped scallions
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped red onion
- 1 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 tomato chopped up
- Heat up a pan coated in cooking spray. Whisk together your two eggs and egg whites in a bowl and set aside. Once the pan is hot, add in your baby spinach. Keep your spinach moving as it wilts quickly and you don’t want it to stick to the pan. Once the spinach has been cooked down, add in your egg mixture. Continue to mix the eggs while they cook for more of a scrambled outcome. Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, add them to your plate and top with scallions, red onion, tomato and goat cheese. You can put your salmon on the side or mix it right in.
I hope you like this recipe and please let me know if you try it and like it!